All the little jobs

Best thing about part-time employment is
having time to adventure with friends like Abbie
It turns out, finding temporary jobs was actually pretty easy thanks to my awesome support system. Between January and now, I might not have had a job, but I definitely had a lot going on! In each of my 7 jobs/tasks/things to keep me busy, I learned something about what I want and who I am.

Job 1: M&J Frank + Family Jobs

Once it was official that I was out of a job, my family was there ready to support me. Uncle Andy, who owns a restaurant supply store, found a task for me to do, inputting price data into their database. While that part of the job was pretty dull, it was awesome seeing the contrast of a successful small business model in contrast to everything I had seen thus far. For the first time, I felt like maybe the business world isn't that bad if I can find or start a good one.

Job 2: ACT Tutor

My W&L family was also there ready to support me. I emailed the amazing woman that interviewed me for W&L, a favorite high school teacher's wife, and the owner of Breakaway Prep in Morristown, and she immediately offered me an interview. I learned how to ACT tutor and proctor tests and a little about tutoring and the strength of our alumni network. Through this experience, I found a true role model. A business owner, a lawyer, a mother, and a party-planner extraordinaire, Stephanie was one of the sweetest but most driven women I have ever met. She inspires me to take advantage of my education and network and strive to be the best I can be.

Volunteer Job 3: Sustainable Morristown

So apparently, there are environmental clubs everywhere and usually everyone is welcome. Just from a few Internet searches, I became a part of Sustainable Morristown (kind of like the Student Environmental Action League of real life), went to a Sustainability Summit of NJ on Zero-Waste, and  started at home composting and gardening. I realized that even if I can't find a way to make money in helping the environment, there will always be ways to help outside of the office.

Internship Job 4: Environmental Education Intern
The beautiful Holiday Lake

Fortunately/unfortunately my first three jobs didn't last so long because starting President's Day, I was off to Appomattox, Virginia to the Holiday Lake 4-H Environmental Education Center to an internship where I didn't quite know what to expect. However, when I wasn't teaching or creating environmental ed classes, I was free to do whatever I wanted, like writing for their blog. In this role, I realized how many uses an outdoor ed center can have and how much more potential there are for them in this world. I hope to be able to work in a place like that again in my future.

Job 5 that I don't actually really do: Varsity Tutor

Since I wasn't getting paid much for my internship, I got a job at Varsity tutors as an online ACT tutor. Unfortunately, when you don't have much cell service or Internet its really hard to get online jobs. So, for the second time, I find myself with a tutoring job and no clients. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

Job 6 TBD: Allegheny Mountain Institute

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of AMI.

Tomorrow I start my next journey, the real reason I started this blog and gave it the name I did. All the information I currently know about it can be found here and the rest you'll just have to stay tuned for! 

Job 7 TBD: Blogger?!? 

Again, trying this out. Hopefully writing about my adventures will keep my writing skills sharp and my desire to adventure sharper.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All the Projects and Hobbies Galore

Summary of Me Since College

First Week at Allegheny Mountain Institute