Community Living

The honeymoon phase is over.

It's getting real.

But we are getting past it.
All eight fellows at Allegheny Mountain. 

Ok. Let me back up. For those of you that haven't been following, I am living on a mountain with about 11 other people: 8 fellows, a village manager, and a farm manager and his family. It has been an absolutely incredible, fulfilling experience so far and I am working to make the most of each and every second. Through foraging for medicinal herbs to leading children in the school garden, I have been exposed to more nontraditional ways of life than I even know existed in America.



With this ongoing learning and working together, we have formed a community of farmers, educators, and students on the mountain. And this has worked really well and is continuing to work really well. But, with all communities and families, there are rough patches.

The chanterelles I picked in Idaho.
Fingers crossed I find them here too!
Yesterday, as part of our permaculture lesson, we tried to learn how we got into the rough patch based on interpersonal, interpersonal, and transpersonal relationships. We dug deep into ourselves, deep into our relationships with our cohort, and then challenged some of our beliefs. We did this because humans are the most important part of every garden design and only with flourishing relationships, is there a flourishing farm.

So enough of the abstract. Here's what I learned about my relationships.

Intrapersonal: This is digging deep into the self. Who am I? What motivates me? What are my shining strengths and what am I challenged with. To answer this, we used plant metaphor. Obviously. I decided I am a mycorrhizal fungus, like a chanterelle mushroom. I chose this because I like supporting others. I like doing the work that is not always seen, but is integral to the success of a project. But then, I also like to be shaded. I like doing things when I am sure and have a plan, a network that will prevent me from failing. I am resentful at doing things that maybe aren't that bad, but I resent them because I was too timid to come up with it myself. And I need to be recognized when I do appear. There are times when I completely hide from attention and times that I absolutely crave it. Going through this process helped me, so I invite you to find your plant/animal too.

Interpersonal: So if intrapersonal are things that I have identified in myself and that others have identified in me, then how do I use them to relate to other people to ensure honest, meaningful, open relationships. How do I make sure problems between each of us on the mountain get resolved quickly and effectively? Well, Josh gave me some hints as did my mom and our permaculture teacher. But this is where I struggle and would love a hand. So comment away!

The wonders of nature. A view from the farm taken by
Elora.
Transpersonal: Ahh our relationships with things greater than myself. At times, I think this is what is holding me together and at times I think it tears me apart. Nature is something I believe no one can ever truly understand. Yet here I am, trying to understand it--even work with it to make food and meaning. Because that is what brings everyone on this fellowship, I would argue even in the entire world together, I know we will make it through this rough patch.

So I got a little side-tracked there, but I think the main point is as clear as know thyself. And use your strengths and awareness of weaknesses to improve your knowledge, your community, and your planet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All the Projects and Hobbies Galore

Summary of Me Since College

First Week at Allegheny Mountain Institute